Landlord FAQ’s

When will I get my rent?
  • The balance of the rent will be paid to you within 4 working days of us receiving the rent. We pay the rent by BACS transfer in all cases so we will require your bank details for this purpose.
Can you guarantee my rent?
  • We will do everything to ensure that you get your rent each month. However, we advise that you take out ‘Rent Guarantee’ insurance.
  • If you would like your rent guaranteed we can put you in touch with a company that deals with this should you require it.
  • Whether you choose the fully Managed or the Let Only option, you must take out the policy directly with the insurance company, tenant references can be made available if necessary.
Do I have to pay for all the repairs?
  • You are responsible for maintaining the fabric of the building including built-in appliances, large trees, shrubs and hedges. We will carry out any repairs up to a limit of £350 and any emergency or Health & Safety repairs will be dealt with immediately. These costs can be deducted from the monthly rental income. Any repairs or insurances are usually tax deductible.
What happens if the tenants damage my property?
  • We ask for a deposit equal to 5 weeks rent. If we manage the property for you we will inspect it once the tenants vacate and advise you of any other potential deductions we propose to make. We then notify the outgoing tenants and liaise with the Deposit Protection Service (DPS) for the return of any amount deducted.
What if there is a dispute?
  • If the tenant disagrees with a potential deduction then the DPS has a resolution service whereby they will look at photos and evidence of how the property looked at the start of the tenancy and how it looked at the end. They will make a decision based on this evidence.
What do we do about notifying utility companies?
  • We will notify the utility companies such as water, electric and gas along with council tax when a new tenant moves into a property. This will mean that the landlord will get a closing account and the tenant will be responsible from the day they move in.
Will you check my property regularly?
  • Under a managed tenancy we will check the property on a regular basis, the first visit will be after 3 months of the start of the tenancy then can either be quarterly or less by agreement.
Do you arrange an inventory?
  • We do a photographic inventory at the start of the tenancy and we give a copy to the tenant.
Can you arrange a gas safety certificate for me?
  • Yes. We work with several ‘Gas Safe’ engineers who could do this.
Apparently, my property needs an EPC what is this and can you arrange this for me?
  • It is a requirement under the Housing Act Law that an agent or landlord must be able to provide a prospective tenant or purchaser with an EPC. We are therefore unable to market your property without an EPC. If you would like us to arrange an EPC for you, then please let us know. NB as of the 1st April 2018 all properties for rent must be an E rating or above.
Should I tell my insurance company?
  • You must provide us with a copy of the insurance policy showing that the insurance allows for letting the property.
Should I inform my Mortgage Lender I am going to let my property?
  • It is usual that your lender confirms in writing that they agree to the property being let. Unless you have a specific ‘Buy To Let’ mortgage.
What is money laundering?
  • Money laundering means exchanging money or assets that have been obtained criminally for money. As a letting agent, it is a legal requirement to meet with Anti-Money Laundering Legislation. We will therefore need to have a copy of the property owners passport and driving License(s).
Do I have to pay tax on the income from my property?
  • We are not qualified to offer tax advice. We advise that you seek professional advice regarding the tax and if in doubt call the Inland Revenue on 0300 200 3300 or speak to your accountant if you have one.  If you are a landlord living overseas and you receive income from a property in the UK then you should contact the Inland Revenue and register for their ‘Non-Resident Landlord Scheme’.